The European School Education Platform and the eTwinning Community are possible thanks to funding from Erasmus+, the European programme for education, training, youth and sport. They are initiatives by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Education, Youth, Sport, and Culture.
Platform’s activities are operated by European Schoolnet (coordination, content, and services) and Tremend Software Consulting SRL (technical infrastructure) under service contracts with the European Education and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA).
Updated on 4 July 2023
1. When was the initial version of the European School Education Platform launched?
The initial version (“beta”) of the European School Education Platform was released on 3 June 2022. It offers the core eTwinning functionalities for the registration of new eTwinners and for conducting projects. Iterative releases with updated and new features and content are being deployed gradually.
2. What is the URL of the new platform? And what about the previous URLs?
The new platform is available at the URL: school-education.ec.europa.eu
The following old URLs are not accessible and are redirected to the new Platform: www.etwinning.net, live.etwinning.net, nso.etwinning.net
The URL twinspace.etwinning.net still accesses existing TwinSpaces, available in read-only mode.
The URL www.schooleducationgateway.eu still accesses the School Education Gateway in read-only mode, until relevant content is migrated to the new Platform.
3. What eTwinning functionalities are part of the current version of the new platform?
Currently, eTwinning users have the following functionalities on the new Platform:
- Partner-finding and Networking features
- Creation of new eTwinning projects, including their TwinSpaces
- Creation of new eTwinning Groups
Feeds in eTwinning Area
Rooms in the eTwinning Area
National and European Quality Label
Migration of eTwinning Groups to the new Platform (see later in this document)
4. What School Education Gateway features are part of the current version of the new platform?
All the editorial content have been migrated to the new Platform. The Erasmus+ tools (on-site course catalogue and project partners' search) are integrated now into the new Platform.
5. What is planned in the upcoming releases?
The following features are planned to be released later in 2023:
- TwinSpaces Twinboard
- Groups: simple and advanced search
- Possibility to create organisations and schools for all registered users
- Improved page in the ‘Insights’ section, with an easier way to filter resources
- Self-Assessment Tools
- Mobile App for Android and iOS
Registration and my account
1. How can I register on the new European School Education Platform?
Registration and login at the European School Education Platform - including eTwinning – is only possible with an EU Login account. You can use your EU Login account for various platforms of the European Commission.
Existing users must create an EU Login account with the same email address used when registering in eTwinning or on the School Education Gateway to synchronise their old and new accounts, including migration of personal data to the new account. Learn in this article how to create an EU Login.
2. I had an eTwinning or School Education Gateway account. Can I use it to login to the new European School Education Platform?
You will not be able to access the European School Education Platform with your old eTwinning or School Education Gateway account. To access the new Platform, you have to use an EU Login account linked to the same email used in the old platform. Please see above “How can I register on the new platform”.
3. I have an EU Login account with a different email address compared to the eTwinning platform or the School Education Gateway. What should I do?
It is important that the email address on your EU Login account is the same as your account on the eTwinning platform, or School Education Gateway platform if you don’t have an eTwinning account. This will allow you to synchronise the accounts and enable your profile data (name, surname, school, contacts, projects, etc.) to be migrated to the new platform.
Please do the following:
- Login to your EU Login account here.
- Change the email address on your EU Login account to be the same one as you had on eTwinning or School Education Gateway.
- Go to the European School Education Platform and click "Create account" and then "Register on this platform with EU Login".
- After the registration on the new platform, you can go back to your EU Login account and change the email address related to it if you wish.
4. I don't remember which email address I used when I registered to the old platform. Where can I find this information?
This information is no longer available.
5. Will my user profile be migrated to the new platform?
Yes, if you use the same email address for your EU Login account when registering on the new platform as used in eTwinning or on School Education Gateway, your user profile will be migrated to the new platform. This includes your personal information, and any organisations you might be linked to. Some data related to your previous activities on the platform will not be migrated or migrated only in a cumulative approach (see the other Q&A). Please note that if you have both an eTwinning and a School Education Gateway account, only the data from your eTwinning account will be migrated.
Important: you can register on the European School Education Platform with the email used in eTwinning and School Education Gateway also after these platforms are discontinued.
6. I already logged in to the new platform but my email addresses on the old and the new platform didn't match. Now my data is not migrated. Can I fix this by changing still my email address of my EU Login account?
If you have completed the registration at the new platform, it will not be possible to retrieve the account data from the old platforms by later changing the email address on EU Login. In this situation, please contact your NSO if you are an eTwinner, or contact the central support if you are not.
School Education Gateway and Teacher Academy
1. I published courses on the School Education Gateway’s course catalogue. Will they be migrated to the new platform?
No, the courses that you published on the School Education Gateway will not be migrated to the new platform.
2. Will the listings of mobility opportunities and strategic partnerships be migrated to the new platform?
No, any mobility opportunities or strategic partnership requests that have been created will not be migrated to the new platform. However, these listings are still available in read-only mode on the School Education Gateway until the final closure of the old platform. This gives you the time to copy and save any text you might want to save.
3. Will I have access to my School Education Gateway / Teacher Academy course badges & certificates on the new platform?
No, badges and certificates you earned on the School Education Gateway will not be migrated to the new platform.
4. In the new platform, where can I find online professional development (online courses and webinars)?
All professional development activities are accessible via the “Professional Development” section of the new platform. Online professional development activities will take place on the European Commission’s EU Academy platform.
5. Can I access the online courses that I previously attended on the School Education Gateway also on the new platform?
No, online courses previously available on the School Education Gateway will not be migrated to the new platform. Since user login has been disabled on the School Education Gateway, it is no longer possible to access the old courses.
6. Can I access the teaching materials, articles, and tutorials currently on the School Education Gateway also on the new platform?
All content (including teaching materials, articles, and tutorials) which was available on the School Education Gateway has been migrated to the new Platform and can be found in the Insights section.
7. Will the European Toolkit for Schools be part of the new platform?
All resources and other materials from the European Toolkit for Schools will be migrated to the new platform. Its “packaging”, structure, and inherit navigation will remain available in an adequate way compatible with the new platform. It will become available in thematic area dedicated to ‘Inclusion’ as part of the Insights section of the Platform.
8. I have used the European Toolkit for Schools’ self-assessment tool and questionnaire. Will the result PDFs in my profile be migrated to the new platform?
No, the results from the self-assessment or the questionnaire will not be migrated.
9. As a School Education Gateway user, I have many items in my profile’s favourites (courses, mobility opportunities, articles). Will they be migrated?
No, the items that you favourited will not be migrated. The links will become obsolete after the School Education Gateway platform closes.
10. I’m subscribed for the School Education Gateway newsletter. Will I still be receiving it?
The School Education Gateway newsletter has been discontinued. The new newsletter is available to all registered users of the European School Education Platform. Please login and go to your account settings to make sure you are subscribed to it.
1. Will the content of the existing eTwinning Groups be migrated to the new platform?
Groups with any activities which took place between 01.01.2021 and 21.02.2022 have been migrated to the new platform together with their content and materials created after 1.7.2018. Groups with no activity as from 01.01.2021 will not be migrated.
The migrated eTwinning Groups are accessible from the eTwinning area of the new Platform.
2. What of my content in eTwinning will be migrated to the new platform?
The following content in eTwinning will be gradually migrated:
- User profile: main information since users’ registration
- Events: main data created by CSS, NSO and Ambassadors
3. I am an eTwinner since 2010 and I have been involved in many activities, all displayed in my profile and portfolio. Will this information be migrated to the new platform?
The information currently contained in your eTwinning Portfolio will be migrated into your new European School Education Platform Portfolio in 2023. Your profile – which may be visible to all users if you wish so - will only show your activities as from 1.7.2018. In general, all activities on the platform which took place before 1.7.2018 will be deleted, so please download everything you wish to keep.
4. Can I apply for the National Quality Label?
Only European projects (where founder and co-founder are from two different countries) registered on the new Platform or migrated from the old eTwinning platform are allowed to apply for the National Quality Label. Check your project's profile!
5. What will happen to eTwinning Live events?
eTwinning Live events (both on-site and online) will be discontinued in the new platform. As from July 2023 a new feature - called 'Rooms' - is available allowing users to create a micro-group including a meeting place for video-conferencing sessions, a forum and a file archive. All eTwinners are able to create Rooms and invite other eTwinners to participate.
6. What about the progression bar in eTwinning? Will I lose my progress?
The Progression Bar will remain as one of the features in eTwinning and it will be added in 2023. The score concept will remain but the activities to progress will be adjusted to the features available in the new platform.
7. What will happen to my events in my profile?
Events organised by NSO and CSS will be migrated to and visible in the new European School Education Platform Portfolio, available from My Dashboard in 2023.
8. I usually post messages in the eTwinning Partner Finding forum to find colleagues. What will happen to this forum?
A new area called 'Networking' allows eTwinners to create project ideas by 'posting' messages and replying to existing ones. All posts in the current partner finding forums were deleted when the new platform was launched and the partner finding forums in eTwinning Live were deactivated.
9. Can I continue running the project that I am involved in the school year 2021/2022?
All projects registered in the school year 2021/2022, and the related TwinSpaces, have been active and accessible from eTwinning Live until 30.9.2022. All TwinSpaces are still available, in read-only, in the old Platform. Users can still download materials and files.
Projects – for instance linked with Erasmus+ multiannual projects – which had planned to continue their activities beyond the school year 2021/2022, cannot be reopened. To continue their activities in the new platform, or to promote and disseminate the results of the project, a new project should be created on the Platform and the relevant materials from the old TwinSpace should be manually copied.
10. What will happen to the content of my TwinSpaces?
Content from old TwinSpaces will be gradually migrated from the old to the new Platform.
Existing TwinSpaces related to projects registered on the old platform are still available – in read-only mode – at the address twinspace.etwinning.net until at least 2024. Users are allowed to access those TwinSpaces – using the credentials of the old eTwinning platform – to retrieve information and content which may be useful for reporting purposes or to continue projects’ activities in the new Platform.
11. I am a member of five eTwinning Groups. Do I need to join these Groups again when the new platform is launched?
All eTwinning Groups which were active between 1.1.2021 and 22.2.2022 have been migrated including their respective group members into the new platform. Groups which were inactive between 1.1.2021 and 22.2.2022 will not be migrated.
12. How do I download the content of my TwinSpaces and Groups which are not migrated?
You can download all the files from the materials section of the TwinSpace/Groups by selecting the file you want to download and clicking on ‘download’. You can save the images by viewing each image’s original and saving the file in the browser’s window.
13. Where can I find the professional development offer?
The professional development offer can be found in the "Development" area of the European School Education Platform as from 26.9.2022. All courses will take place on the EU Academy.
14. Until when will I be able to access my TwinSpaces and eTwinning Groups on the old platform?
Existing TwinSpaces related to projects registered on the old platform will be available – in read-only mode – at the address twinspace.etwinning.net at least 2024.
Users are allowed to access those TwinSpaces – using the credentials of the old eTwinning platform – to retrieve information and content which may be useful for reporting purposes.
1. I have a question about the migration to the new platform and it is not answered above, or I need further support. What do I do?
eTwinners can contact their National Support Organisation.
All other users, please visit our support portal
2. What will happen to the eTwinning App?
The current eTwinning App has been discontinued in September 2022. A new version of the App, which will be named "European School Education Platform App" will be launched in 2023.